Andes Mint Cookies

Andes Mint Cookies

From my friend Sharon Stark Batson who got married and moved far away! I miss her!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp water
12oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1lb Andes mints

Heat butter, sugar and water in saucepan until butter is melted. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour into large bowl and cool 10 minutes. Beat in eggs, then add flour, soda and salt and beat just until blended. Chill dough for an hour. Don't worry that the dough seems a little bit oily - it turns out fine once baked. Line cookie sheets with foil. Roll dough in 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 11 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place an Andes mint on each cookie. After they melt, swirl each one with a knife (think of it like spreading frosting on a cake but with the Andes mint instead) and remove cookies from cookie sheet and let them cool until chocolate is solid.

Some like to add an additional cup of chocolate chips after the dough has cooled just a little, so they melt a little but not completely. Also, you don't necessarily have to chill the dough for an hour. Nor do you have to be picky about rolling it into balls. It's just as good to plop the stuff on the foil haphazardly while clicking your heels about the chocolatey minty goodness to come.

Read Comments

1 comments:

shurnuandbeagsly said...

Whit! I'm so honored you have my recipe here! WEll, I guess it wasn't mine to begin with. :) Good idea on adding extra chocolate chips! I'll try that next time. Also, the original recipe I got calls for dark brown sugar. I've tried it both ways and I think I like the dark br. sugar cuz it adds just a little extra richness!